PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal and Northeast Region Leader, Commercial Property Tax, Ryan
- Specializes in the valuation and appeals of going concern, complex, and investment-grade commercial real property.
- Focuses primarily on appeals throughout Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states.
- Recognized national expert in the valuation and assessment appeals for the hospitality, data center, and healthcare industries, as well as large office, retail, industrial, apartment, and special purpose properties.
- Expert in the valuation of possessory interests and the mitigation of taxes payable at closing on real estate transactions.
- More than 30 years of experience in the valuation of all types of commercial real property throughout the United States and Canada.
- Expert in real property appeal opportunities in Europe.
- Managing Consultant for more than seven years, national property tax consulting firm, Washington, D.C. office
- Built the largest property tax practice in the South-Atlantic market, representing a portfolio of more than $11 billion in local commercial real estate.
- Successfully appealed cases in every major jurisdiction in Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
- More than $20 million in total savings achieved for both national institutional investors, as well as local property owners.
- More than 2,000 administrative appeals personally analyzed, prepared, and presented in Washington, D.C. alone.
- Major tax reductions achieved for every major commercial property type, including hotels, multi-tenant and owner-occupied office and retail, conventional and subsidized apartments, industrial, manufacturing, special use, and possessory interests.
- Managing Consultant, Northern California region, national property tax consulting firm
- Senior Appraiser, large savings and loan bank
- Independent, State Certified Real Estate Appraiser and Consultant
- Special Counsel for International Tax Litigation, Washington, D.C. law firm
PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Member of several legislative task forces dealing with tax issues in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Washington, D.C. Metro AOBA/BOMA Tax Committee since 1998
- Governor Warner’s Task Force to reform Virginia taxes
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation Joint Task Force to California Assembly
- Washington, D.C. Council’s Select Committee: Reform the Board of Real Property Assessment Appeals
Mr. Allen lectures on various tax topics for Ryan’s clients and Ryan Professional Development Programs and Training. Additionally, he has appeared as a speaker for the following organizations and webinars:
- Council On State Taxation
- Tax Executives Institute, Inc. – St. Louis Chapter
- Virginia House of Delegates
- Washington, D.C. Board of Real Property Assessment Appeals
- Washington, D.C. Council
- Washington, D.C. Hotel Association
- Webinar: 2021 State of the Healthcare Industry (April 2021)
- Webinar: 2021 New York City Commercial Real Estate Assessment Challenges (April 2021)
- Webinar: 2021 State of the Retail Industry (March 2021)
- Webinar: Hotel Trends: Past, Present, and Future (April 2021)
- Webinar: For Bloomberg BNA, “Dark” Property
- Webinar: Valuation Issues for an Evolving Housing Market (August 25, 2016)
- Webinar: Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Commercial Property Tax Opportunities and Deadlines (December 14, 2015)
- Webinar: Tax as a Profit Center for M&A Transactions (February 19, 2014)
- Washington, D.C. Hotel Association
- Apartment and Office Building Association of Washington, D.C.
- Member, Tax Committee
- California Alliance of Taxpayer Advocates
- California State Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- National Association of Master Appraisers
- National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- National Society of Environmental Consultants
- “European Property Tax Appeal Opportunities,” Ryan Newsletter (September 2021)
- “Assessors Continue to Reject Dark Store Theory Across the Country,” Ryan Newsletter (August 2021)
- “New Castle County, Delaware Revaluation Status Update,” Ryan Newsletter (August 2021)
- “Impact of Lack of CRE Lending on Property Tax Assessments and Taxes,” Ryan Newsletter (July 2021)
- “Pennsylvania’s State Tax Equalization Board Unable to Conduct Business,” Ryan Newsletter (June 2021)
- “The Return of the Foreign Buyer to U.S. Commercial Real Estate,” Ryan Newsletter (May 2021)
- “New York City Releases Tentative Assessment Roll,” Ryan Newsletter (January 29, 2021)
- “How Can the Hospitality Industry Survive Another Period of Vacancies?” Ryan Newsletter (December 2020)
- “Ugly as an Obsolescence,” BNA State Tax (March 2017)
- “Bloomberg BNA Insight: When Should You Use ‘Raw’ Capital Expenditures in the Valuation of Commercial Real Estate?” BNA State Tax Weekly (January 2017)
- "Microapartments, Whether Fad or Revolution, How Do You Value Them? Valuation Strategies (July/August 2016)
- “Tax as a Profit Center for M&A Transaction,” White Paper and Webinar (2014)
- “The Battle over Hotel Valuations: An inhospitable debate. Why can’t we agree on how to value a hotel?” Valuation Strategies(November/December 2013)
- “Tax Abatements for the ‘Children of the Cloud’,” State Journal of Taxation (2013)
- “Key Considerations for the Management and Minimization of Property Taxes for Medical/Healthcare Facilities,” State Journal of Taxation (2013)
- “Special Considerations for the Valuation of Hotels, Resorts, and Other Hospitality Properties,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2013)
- “Valuing Going Concern Properties for Ad Valorem Taxation–Where Do We Stand?” White Paper, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (2012)
- “Going Concern Property Transactions: The Necessity of Value Allocations,” Valuation Strategies, Thomson Reuters/RIA (2011)
- “Going Concern Property Transactions: Acquisition Analysis and Asset Price Allocation,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2011)
- “Commercial Real Estate Tax Management: The Importance of Valuation Modeling,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2010)
EDUCATION & ACCREDITATION
- Bachelor of Letters of Law (LLB) Degree, Honors in International Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Master of Arts Degree, Honors in English Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Honors in English Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Barrister at Law (England and Wales) – Non-practicing
- State Certified General Appraiser, licenses issued in several jurisdictions
- Small Business Administration Certified Going Concern Valuation Expert (Appraisal Institute Course 833)
- Master Senior Appraiser, National Association of Master Appraisers
- Certified Commercial Appraiser, National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- Certified Environmental Advisor and Consultant, National Society of Environmental Consultants
- Approved Appraiser, Resolution Trust Corporation, Housing Urban Development, Federal Housing Authority, and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation