PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal, Ryan, Arlington office
- Specializes in providing duty minimization, elimination and recovery services, global trade management, trade compliance assistance, trade audit defense, and transportation cost recovery projects.
- Vice President, Global Customs and Trade Policy, global logistics firm
- Managed the Customs and Trade operations for all 305 global offices.
- National Permit Holder for the fourth largest customs broker in North America.
- Oversaw the global Trade Policy consultancy and duty recovery team.
- Sought after lecturer on trade issues, presenting at more than 200 public seminars and symposiums.
- Successfully argued trade policy issues in 81 customs jurisdictions.
- Principal Managing Consultant, global logistics firm
- Implemented duty minimization strategies that recovered more than $750 million in duties, value-added tax, and transaction fees.
- Managed more than 800 C-TPAT (Customs-Trade Partnership Against Terrorism) anti-terrorism projects and more than 300 customs audit defenses.
- Wrote numerous significant ruling requests on customs valuation and classification.
- Senior Manager, National Practice Leader, Global Trade Practice, national accounting firm
- Pioneered the use of global trade optimization projects to pursue global duty recoveries for clients.
- Managed successful duty recovery and avoidance projects in 54 customs jurisdictions.
Mr. Mento is one of the most sought after speakers on topics of international trade in the world. A former professional standup comedian, his ability to mix humor with economics, history, and regulatory insight have resulted in lectures to sold out crowds in 30 countries in six continents.
BOARD & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
- Association of Exporters and Importers
- International Compliance Professionals Association
- National Customs House Brokers Freight Forwarders Association
- Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Security Council
- United States/Indian Business Council
EDUCATION & ACCREDITATION
- Master of Liberal Arts Degree, Government Trade Theory, Harvard University
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Marine Transportation and Technology, Maine Maritime Academy
- United States Licensed Customs House Broker, National Permit Holder for Ryan, LLC