PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Principal in Charge, Ryan, Arlington office
– Specializes in the valuation and appeals of going concern,
complex, and investment-grade commercial real property.
– Specializes in appeals throughout the Mid Atlantic, including
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
– Recognized national expert in the valuation and assessment
appeals for the hospitality, data center, and healthcare
industries, as well as large office, retail, industrial, apartment,
and special purpose properties.
– Expert in the valuation of possessory interests and taxes payable
at closing of real estate transactions.
– More than 30 years of experience in the valuation of all types of
commercial real property throughout the United States and
- Managing Consultant for more than seven years, national property tax consulting firm, Washington, D.C. office
– Built largest property tax practice in the South Atlantic market,
representing a portfolio of more than $11 billion in local
commercial real estate.
– Successfully appealed cases in every major jurisdiction in
Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, D.C.
– More than $20 million in total savings achieved for both national
institutional investors, as well as local property owners.
– More than 2,000 administrative appeals personally analyzed,
prepared, and presented in Washington, D.C. alone.
– Major tax reductions achieved for every major commercial
property type, including hotels, multi-tenant and owner-occupied
office and retail, conventional and subsidized apartments,
industrial, manufacturing, special use, and possessory
- Managing Consultant, national property tax consulting firm, for Northern California region
- Senior Appraiser, large savings and loan bank
- Independent, State Certified Real Estate Appraiser and Consultant
- Special Counsel for International Tax Litigation, Washington, D.C. law firm
PUBLIC SECTOR EXPERIENCE
- Member of several legislative task forces dealing with tax issues in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Washington, D.C. Metro AOBA / BOMA Tax Committee since 1998
- Governor Warner’s Task Force to reform Virginia taxes
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation joint task force to California Assembly
- Washington, D.C. Council’s select committee to reform the Board of Real Property Assessment Appeals
Mr. Allen lectures on various tax topics for Ryan clients and the Ryan Professional Development Program. Additionally, he has appeared as a speaker for the following organizations:
- Council On State Taxation
- Virginia House of Delegates
- Washington, D.C. Board of Real Property Assessment Appeals
- Washington, D.C. Council
- Washington, D.C. Hotel Association
- “Tax as a Profit Center for M&A transaction,” White Paper and Webinar (2014)
- “The Battle over Hotel Valuations: An inhospitable debate. Why can’t we agree on how to value a hotel?” Valuation Strategies (November/December 2013)
- “Tax Abatements for the ‘Children of the Cloud’,” State Journal of Taxation (2013)
- “Key Considerations for the Management and Minimization of Property Taxes for Medical/Healthcare Facilities,” State Journal of Taxation (2013)
- “Special Considerations for the Valuation of Hotels, Resorts and Other Hospitality Properties,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2013)
- “Valuing Going Concern Properties for Ad Valorem Taxation–Where Do We Stand?” White Paper, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (2012)
- “Going Concern Property Transactions: The Necessity of Value Allocations,” Valuation Strategies, Thomson Reuters/RIA (2011)
- “Going Concern Property Transactions: Acquisition Analysis and Asset Price Allocation,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2011)
- “Commercial Real Estate Tax Management: The Importance of Valuation Modeling,” White Paper, Ryan, LLC (2010)
- California Alliance of Taxpayer Advocates
- California State Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- National Association of Master Appraisers
- National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- National Society of Environmental Consultants
- Bachelor of Letters of Law (LLB), Honors in International Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Master of Arts Degree, Honors in English Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Honors in English Law, Downing College, Cambridge University
- Barrister at Law (England and Wales)
- State Certified General Appraiser, licenses issued in several jurisdictions
- Small Business Administration Certified Going Concern valuation expert (Appraisal Institute Course 833)
- Master Senior Appraiser, National Association of Master Appraisers
- Certified Commercial Appraiser, National Association of Real Estate Appraisers
- Certified Environmental Advisor and Consultant, National Society of Environmental Consultants
- Approved Appraiser, Resolution Trust Corporation, Housing Urban Development, Federal Housing Authority, and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation